Monday, February 25, 2008

HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR EGGS - YOKES UP?


Matthew 11:28-30

28Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I was nearly thirty-two years old before I realized what this scripture really meant. Sure I had memorized it many, many years ago – But I really had no idea how to apply it to my life – I had no idea how to take Jesus’ yoke or even what a yoke was – I knew his yoke was easy – which was cool with me – But how do I give him my yoke – and oh yeah – what the heck is a yoke?! Every time I heard this scripture when I was a kid I always though about egg yoke – I could never get it out of my mind. One day, when I was going through some major drama, I asked God to explain this to me. It wasn’t long before I knew exactly what this scripture means.
A yoke is a heavy wooden harness that fits over the shoulders of an ox. It is attached to a piece of equipment that the ox pulls. It can be a real “burden” to carry a “yoke” on your shoulders…Are you starting to get it now –
A yoke can be the burden of sin, oppression, persecution, or just plain DRAMA which we all know too well, and when you carry it on your “shoulders” it makes it very difficult to stand. Now this scripture does not promise to end all drama in our lives – it just simply means that we can find rest in Jesus. The rest that Jesus offers is love, healing, and peace with God.
Now, how do we physically take Jesus’ burden and give him ours. This is so simple, yet not easy to explain; but I will try.
You see, if you focus 100% on your relationship with Jesus, that becomes your burden. Trying to always read your bible, treat people with dignity and respect, fighting temptation, praying loyally, tithing, and doing your best to not sin, following the ten commandments, and leading others to Christ – is Jesus’ burden. That’s not very heavy at all considering with all of those things he has given us a helper in the form of the Holy Spirit.
If you do this your focus will no longer be on your drama but on Jesus. – You have essentially given Jesus your burden, and taken his instead! It really is that easy – and it really does work!
As for the egg yoke – they’re great with toast – I wonder what God says about toast?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

another good one! Very easy to understand and I love the picture of my princess!

KateGladstone said...

You write:

"One day, ... I asked God to explain this to me. It wasn’t long before I knew exactly what this scripture means."

God told you the dictionary definition of "yoke"?