Monday, February 18, 2008

What’s so bad about secular music???




When I was a kid growing up all I really had to listen to was secular music – you know, the music on every other radio station except 89.1 (The Reach FM). I really didn’t think it was a big deal then, but now I realize how much of a negative influence secular music had on me – and that was twenty-five years ago – things have gotten much more risky since then. Music with sexual lyrics, homosexual lyrics, cursing, hatred etc. has become the norm. It should be obvious to most of you that what you hear can affect the way you live your life. For example – if someone told you everyday that you were fat, eventually you’d start to believe it – even if it was a lie. Speaking of lies – does anyone know who the “father of all lies is”??? – You guessed it, that old adversary – the devil. When satan was known as Lucifer, he was a great and mighty angel – very popular amongst the other angels and particularly loved by God ' Ezekiel 28:11 “You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.” We must remember that some, not all music can come from evil sources no matter how lovely, beautiful or pleasing it may sound to the ears. For we know that the devil can masquerade as an angel of light (II Corinthians 11:14). Music, I believe, has a twofold purpose. To glorify God or not, it’s as simple as that. Music was initially created to glorify God, but what satan has done with it since his rebellion is whole different issue. You see, according to Ezekiel 28:13 satan was constructed with certain instruments built right into him – We know that before satan’s rebellion, the sole purpose of music was to bring pleasure to God –

“Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.”

The most important thing to focus on here is the last line which says that tabrets (an instrument sort of like a tambourine today) and pipes (like a flute) were actually a part of satan’s created being – meaning that music was literally in him. Seeing as though he was God’s most beloved angel we can assume that music was one of his primary responsibilities in heaven.

Now, with that understanding, can you see how important it is to protect yourself from secular music? It should be obvious how important music is to God and to satan –

I would also mention Ephesians 4:29:
“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.”
The next time you are tempted to listen to the latest secular song – ask yourself if you think God is listening to it???

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,
This is Stephen Herbein from Red Lion. I was the sound guy when you gave your chapel message. I think the idea of Christians listening to secular music is the same with movies. I know I watch a TON of secular movies for the sole reason that not many Christian movies are in Blockbuster. I don't have an excuse for music though, and your right. God wants us to watch what we listen to. "Garbage in, Garbage out." By the way, nice blog.

G. Grayson Tabor said...

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for your honesty about secular movies - I too am guilty of the occasional indulgence - however I try to keep it around a PG rating. I ask myself if I would let my kids watch it - if the answers yes - then I watch - if the answers no...well - I might not watch (haha).

Anonymous said...

talk-to communicate or exchange ideas, information, etc., by speaking: to talk about poetry.-

It is the people who decide whether their good morals should exist or not, not the media. Secularism is not a bad thing and it is due to humanism that you are not wearing a robe and are able to interact with modern society.

Anonymous said...

If all secular music were a symbol of evil, then would so many people start crying when they hear John Lennon's classic "Imagine"? I do not think that this would be the case then.

Anonymous said...

didnt lennon say no heaven above us he saying theres no god the devil is a liar

Anonymous said...

I think the music buisness is built on idolatry making gods out of people god is gonna slap some butt man

Boileau Studio & Christian Art Gallery said...

Hey Grayson,

Thank you for the scripture references. I teach at a private school and see the influence of secular music in the actions and values of many of the young people. I make it a practice to leave worship music on in our home as He inhabits the praise of His people. My wife and I share different opinions and refuses to accept that listening to secular music as a primary source of entertainment can be damaging to her mind. We had a difficult conversation about it tonight and I found your blog. It helped to reflect on the scriptures you noted. Thank you for letting your light shine.

Brian

Unknown said...

All secular songs are not bad. Although they're few, there are some which promote love, honor, and respect. The question should always be, "Would Jesus approve of these lyrics?"